Fulton, Robert WRegents Professor and McCasland Foundation Endowed Chair for Food Animal Research
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Microbiologists
Specialty: Veterinary Virology- bovine respiratory viruses, bovine viral diarrhea viruses, BVDV viral vaccines and diagnostics
DVM, Oklahoma State University
MS, Washington State University
PhD, University of Missouri-Columbia
American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (ACVM)
Department: Veterinary Pathobiology
Born in Blackwell, OK and raised on wheat and cattle farm near Blackwell. Married Arlene Zielanis in 1975 in Columbia, MO. Two children and one grandchild. Served as Captain for four years in U.S. Air Force Veterinary Corps in Manila, Philippines, UBON RTAFB, Thailand, and Vandenberg AFB, CA. Faculty member at LSU School of Veterinary Medicine, Baton Rouge, and currently faculty member, Oklahoma State University Center for Veterinary Health Sciences. Awards: Beecham Award for Research Excellence, OSU CVM, 1989, and Pfizer Award for Research Excellence, OSU CVHS, 2008. McCasland Foundation Endowed Chair for Food Animal Research, 2006, and Regents Professor in 2010. Regents Distinguished Research Award, CVHS, 2010.
Licenses: Oklahoma , Kansas, Colorado, MO, WA
Fields of Interest:
Viral diseases of cattle; bovine respiratory viral infections; bovine viral diarrhea viruses, viral vaccines and diagnostics, bovine herpesviruses, virus-bacteria interactions in disease induction; host defense mechanisms; immunomodulators.
Current Research Focus:
Bovine respiratory viruses, bovine viral diarrhea viruses including genetic and antigenic diversity, BVDV vaccines and diagnoatic tests, bovine herpesivirus molecular epidemiology and vaccines, bovine coronaviruses from the respiratory tract including BCV genetic and antigenic diversity.
Captain in U.S. Air Force Veterinary Corps, 1966-1970 serving as Port Veterinarian , Manila, Philippines and UBON RTAB, Thailand, 1966-68, and Base Veterinarian, Vandenberg AFB, CA, 1968-70. Resident and M.S. student, Washington State University, Department of Veterinary Clinics, Pullman, WA, 1970-72. Post Doctoral trainee and PhD student, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1972-75. Faculty member, Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine and Dept. Veterinary Science, Baton Rouge, LA. 1975-1982. Assistant Profesor, Associate Professor and Professor. Returned to Oklahoma State University, 1982 as Professor of Veterinary Virology, Dept of Veterinary Parasitology, Microbiology, and Public Health. Served as Dept Head of VPMH and Dept of Infectious Diseases and Physiology from 1984 to 1999. Assistant Director of Oklahoma,1992-93. Appointed McCasland Foundation Endowed Chair for Food Animal Research, 2006, and Regents Professor, 2010.
American Veterinary Medical Association, Oklahoma Veterinary Medical Association, American Association of Bovine Practitioners, Academy of Veterinary Consultants, U.S. Animal Health Association
1. Fulton, R.W., Hessman, B., Johnson, B.J., Ridpath, J.F., Saliki, J., Burge, L.J., Sjeklocha, D., Confer, A.W., Funk, R., and Payton, M.E.: Evaluation of Diagnostic Tests Used for Detection of Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus and Prevalence of BVDV Subtypes 1a, 1b, and 2a. in Persistently Infected Cattle Entering a Feedlot Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association. 228: 578-584, 2006.
2. Fulton, R.W., Johnson, B.J., Briggs, R.E., Ridpath, J.F., Saliki, J.T., Confer, A.W., Burge, L.J., Step, D.L., Walker, D.A., Payton, M.E.: Challenge with Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus by Exposure to Persistently Infected Calves : Protection by Vaccination and Negative Results of Antigen Testing in Acutely Infected Calves. Canadian Journal for Veterinary Research. 70: 121-127,2006.
3.Hessman, B.E., Fulton, R.W., Sjeklocha, D.B., Murphy, T.A., Ridpath, J.F., Payton, M.E.: Evaluation of the Economic Effects and the Health and Performance of the General Cattle Population After Exposure to Cattle Persistently Infected with Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus in a Starter Feedlot. American Journal for Veterinary Research. 70:73-85, 2009.
4. Fulton, R.W., Hessman, B.E., Ridpath, J.F., Johnson, B.J., Burge, L.J., Kapil.S., Braziel, B., Kautz, K., Reck, A.: Multiple Diagnostic Tests to Identify Cattle with Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus and Duration of Positive Tests in Persistently Infected Cattle. Canadian Journal for Veterinary Research. 73: 117-124, 2009.
5.Fulton, R.W., Blood, K.S., Panciera, R.J., Payton, M.E., Ridpath, J.F., Confer, A.W., Saliki, J.T., Burge, L.J., Welsh, R.D., Johnson, B.J., Reck. A.: Lung Pathology and Infectious Agents in Fatal Feedlot Pneumonias and Relationship with Mortality, Disease Onset, and Treatments. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 21: 464-477, 2009.
6. Fulton, R.W., Whitley, E.M., Johnson, B.J., Ridpath, J.F., Kapil, S., Burge, L.J., Cook, B.J., Confer, A.W.: Prevalence of Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus (BVDV) in Persistently Infected Cattle and BVDV Subtypes in Affected Cattle in Beef Herds in South Central United States. Canadian Journal for Veterinary Research 73: 283-291, 2009.
7.Ridpath, J.F., Fulton, R.W.: Knowledge Gaps Impacting the Development of Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus Control Programs in the United States. Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association 235: 1171-1179, 2009.
8.Fulton, R.W.: Bovine Respiratory Disease Research: 1983-2009. Animal Health Research Reviews. 10: 131- 140, 2009.
9. Ridpath, J.F., Fulton, R.W., Kirkland, P.D., Neil, J.: Prevalence and Antigenic Differences Observed Between Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus Subgenotypes Isolated From Cattle in Australia and Feedlots in the Southwestern United States. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 22; 184-191,2010.
10.Leyh, R.D., Fulton, R.W., Stegner, J.E., Goodyear, M., Witte, S., Taylor, L.P., Johnson, B.J., Step, D.L., Ridpath, J.F., Holland, B.P.: Fetal Protection in Heifers Vaccinated with a Modified Live Virus Vaccine Containing Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus Subtypes BVDV1a and BVDV2a and Exposed During Gestation to Cattle Persistently Infected with BVDV Subtype 1b. American Journal for Veterinary Research 72: 367-375, 2011.
11. Fulton, R.W., Step, D.L., Wahrmund, J., Burge, L.J., Payton, M.E., Cook, B.J., Burken, D., Richards, C.J., Confer, A.W.: Bovine Coronavirus Infections in Transported Commingled Beef Cattle and Sole Source Ranch Calves. Canadian Journal for Veterinary Research. 75;191-199, 2011.